- Medicare Part D
- Become a Registered
- Medicare Resources
- Medigap Plan Information
The California Department of Aging’s Medicare Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) provides personalized counseling and interactive educational Zoom webinars as the primary North Bay source for free and unbiased, accurate and objective Medicare information, advocacy and technical assistance to beneficiaries.
California HICAP is part of a national network of State Health Insurance and Assistance Programs (SHIP). SHIP is a Federal grant program that helps States enhance and support a network of local programs, staff, and volunteers. Local programs are charged with directly helping beneficiaries to understand the complexities of their Medicare benefits including Prescription Drug Plan coverage, Medicare Advantage plans, Medicare supplemental policies, Medicare Savings Programs, and long term care insurance. The Administration for Community Living administers the SHIP grant programs nationally.
North Bay HICAP has their administrative office in Petaluma which serves the 6 counties of Sonoma, Marin, Lake, Mendocino, Napa and Solano. HICAP provides free educational opportunities and local unbiased 1-On-1 phone counseling by appointment. Registered volunteer Counselors are trained to explain the technical complexities of Medicare and assist with topics such as understanding Prescription Drug plans, Advantage plans, Supplemental Medigap insurance products and claim appeals. If you are considering purchasing long-term care insurance, counselors can help you compare options and explain details to be considered. Our goal is to ensure a solid understanding so you can make informed decisions.
Individual Counseling Services
HICAP registered counselors provide Unbiased and Free 1-On-1 assistance in the following areas:
- Understanding Medicare benefits
- Evaluating options to supplement Medicare
- Review and appeal assistance of claim denials
- Understanding long-term care options
- Rights as a Medicare beneficiary
- Understanding Extra Help for Medication costs and other Medicare Savings Programs
- Assisting with provider communication and coordination of benefits
HICAP counselors will not:
- Charge for any service
- Sell any product
- Make any decisions for the individual
Here are a few of the upcoming educational opportunities you can register for on the website calendar above:
- Joining Medicare – This comprehensive Zoom webinar is for those who want a solid and detailed understanding of Medicare. It is beneficial for those new to Medicare or beneficiaries who want a detailed refresher.
- Medigap Supplemental Plans What you May or May not Know – There are 2 ways you can choose to have your Medicare. If you chose Original Medicare, one of the parts is a product called a Medigap supplemental plan. How much do you know about that product you are paying for? Did you know there are 29 companies that sell it and the plans are standardized? Did you know that if you don’t go shopping at the right time, you lose a protection? Did you know some time frames changed in 2020? There’s so much more to understand , join us and learn.
- Medicare Annual Changes and Choices – During the Oct.15-Dec.7 Annual Enrollment Period, we hold this presentation with the topic focused on upcoming changes to Part D and Advantage Plans that take effect in the new year. There is a lot to understand and as a truly unbiased source, you will learn about all your options so you can make informed decisions.
- One of Two Medicare Choices –Why would you choose to have your Medicare 1 way and not the other way? Learn the advantages and disadvantages of how you choose to have your Medicare. There are significant differences you may not know and were not told from the person who may have signed you up and received a commission from that plan. If you want to hear the details from a truly unbiased source, HICAP is here as the technical experts on Medicare. You are invited to this unbiased Zoom learning opportunity.
- Preview and register for webinars on other topics and become knowledgable about your Medicare healthcare from HICAP.